Monday, August 2, 2021

July's School Age Book Reviews, PK-12 grades

 Book lovers,

Many of the books I read this month were recommendations from others who wanted a review about books in their classroom libraries. I had so much fun doing this. So much fun that I decided to hunt for lesson plans, activities, projects, videos, etc. that could be used to support the classroom or get kids interested in the book. These are FREE resources that I found online. Some are better than others and come from different sites. I have always had the most luck at Teachers Pay Teachers, you just have to find what works best with your kiddos. 

I read some really great books for young people this month. White Bird was one of the best books, watch the book trailer. Out of my Mind was the book that resonated most with me. Although the main character is young, we had a lot in common. Isn't that the magic of a book!?! We can learn from the book or find ourselves written on the pages.

I hope you enjoy the reviews and maybe pick one up for yourself.  Please feel free to share with anyone you want to. This project gave me purpose for the first time in two years! Stay tuned, I have something special planned for next month.

You may notice "Kids+" next to the Amazon link. What's Amazon Kids+?  Amazon Kids+ This link will send you to the site to explain.

*Amazons suggested ages and grades.

Other blogs I wrote this month:

My Story Update about me, more of my story, Walk for a Cure

July Reviews of Grown-up Books  A must read book!

 

42898923. sx318

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž
You HAVE to read this book! One of the best books I have read in youth literature. It is written as a graphic novel and takes place in France during WWII. It starts off in present day with a young boy calling his grandmother up and asking her to talk about growing up as a young girl during the war. His grandmother hesitates at first, but decides to tell him the story. I was captured by the story almost immediately. This book was more than history lesson. It has a subtle message about love and acceptance, the humanitarian crisis, caring about all people regardless of race and status, and much more.

The graphic novel was very difficult to read on my device because of the tiny text (kindle version from the library). I don't know what it looks like on actual kindle device. The audio book was excellent and worth the buy if you don't have access to the library. It host a full cast of readers, sound effects, and extra sound bites (or is it bytes?). This book was a total gem and I highly recommend.

Additional Resources:

Goodreads              Amazon

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7


6609765 

🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞
So good!!! The main character Melody was born with Cerebral Palsy. She is immobile and non-verbal, but her mind is brilliant. Her whole life she has known what she wants to say, but she cannot speak the words. But everything changes her fifth grade year when she receives some very special technology.

I think I loved this book so much because I relate to Melody so much. I know first hand how a small piece of technology can dramatically change your life. Please pick up this book and read it, share it, have your kids or students read it.  And by the way there is a sequel coming out in November 2021 called Out Of My Heart.

Additional Resources:

Goodreads              Amazon

*Ages 10+, Grades 5-6

 

7981456. sy475

🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞
This is the second time I have read this book. The first time was for a book study at a school I was working for in 2017. That school year Salva Dut himself came to the school for a presentation and promoted Water for South Sudan. I recently read another book, Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate, a story of an African immigrant recently relocated to Minnesota, and I wanted to pick up this book again.

This book begins with two alternating stories, one taking place in Sudan in 2008 with a young girl named Nya and the other in 1985 Sudan with a young man named Salva. When the war breaches his village while at school, Salva has to flee before he can find his family. The young men like Salva are now know as "The Lost Boys" of the Sudan. Salva encounters much heart break and tragedy. Kya is tasked everyday with fetching water two miles from home, twice a day.

This is a book you won't forget and perfect for cross curriculum lessons, Project Based Learning, and STEAM activities!  I am posting some additional information about Salva and his organization.    

Additional Resources:

Goodreads              Amazon 

*Ages 10-12, Grades 5-7


43730381. sx318 

🌞🌞🌞🌞
Roll With It is a cute story about a girl named Ellie who lives in Nashville and lives with Cerebral Palsy. She doesn't have any friends and she goes to a big school so she disappears in the crowd. When her mother decides to move to take care of Ellie's sick grandfather. Ellie has to adapt to a new school that is much smaller and does not have the same resources. But for the first time she has two new friends that she loves. This is more than a story about cerebral palsy, it is the story about relationships with people and accepting all of our differences. It is a pretty easy read while opening the door to conversations about divorce, dementia, autism, and cerebral palsy.

Additional Resources:

Goodreads               Amazon

*Ages 10+, Grades 5-6


 42934598. sx318

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž
I am not a picture book expert, but this book is beautifully illustrated. The words are simple and the message is big. A library can change a life, reading can better it.

Additional Resources:

Goodreads              Amazon

*Ages 4-8, Grades Preschool-3

 

53057502. sy475

🌞🌞🌞🌞

Such a clever book! This book just came out in June 2021. I wish I was teaching math right now because this would be a great book to incorporate into the curriculum. The story switches characters every other chapter between Trish and Ben. They both love baseball and math. In the beginning of the book they start off as enemies until they realize how much they have in common. This book has it all: a little Shakespeare, a little magic, friendship, baseball and math puzzles!

I think this book is more suited for grades 6-8 (maybe 5th) and for small group or whole class instruction unless the reader really loves math. Also, I think it would be fun for this book to be used as a family activity where everyone works together to solve the puzzles!

There is a companion novel that preceded this book called Midsummer's Mayhem (2019) about a character named Mimi that has something to prove to her family.

P.S. The author liked my review on Goodreads!

Additional Resources:

Because the book is so new, I couldn't find many resources.

Goodreads              Amazon

 *Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7


450088 

🌞🌞🌞🌞
There are lots of things I want to say about this book, I hope I don't forget anything. Before I get into all that let me give you the synopsis.

Synopsis: The two main characters are Dana and James, about the same age. James was born about 150 years before Dana, but plays a critical role in Dana's story. Dana and her parents just moved to a historical home. While remodeling the home they discover the skeletal remains of a human. Before the crime scene investigators arrive Dana discovers a little black book which she secretly takes. It turns out to be a diary that holds answers to the mysterious body. James is the son of Quaker parents that recently moved from Boston to Kansas. He learns that his mom is assisting in the Underground Railroad when his father leaves on business trips. James struggles to understands his mother and why she would risk her family. (There are so many things to discuss and tackle in this novel: slavery, Underground Railroad, Quakers, the Oregon Trail, Beecher's Bibles, Sack of Lawrence, Border Ruffians, and more.)

So, the mystery is, who skeleton is it and what is it doing there!?

Now my thoughts:

  • It's historical fiction. I have done a few basic Google searches and haven't found anything verifying the characters (but if you know me, then you know I am a terrible Google-er), but many events and references to the city of Lawrence are historically accurate.
  • There is a little violence and the "n" word is repeated a couple times. I would say you need to have conversations about these before reading with kiddos. 
  • The book was pretty good. It kept me engaged and interested. I would totally recommend this book to mature readers.
  • In the present day story line there are several characters that I don't think had any relevance in the story and just muddled it up.
  • We the readers find out the whole mystery, but Dana and her friends never get the full story. They only know what is written in the diary.
  • There is a sequel called Soon Be Free. I liked this book and want to read book two.
  • History References:   Border Ruffians     The Sack of Lawrence

Additional Resources:

Goodreads              Amazon 

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7


6609764. sy475

🌞🌞🌞🌞

This book has received so many awards. It is a pretty serious novel with topics that are important, but rarely, if ever discussed in children's literature. The book takes place in Oakland in 1968. Three sisters fly from Brooklyn to spend a month with their estranged mother. Upon arrival at the airport their mother seems completely uninterested in her daughters visit. She sends them to a Black Panthers summer camp where they learn about all the injustice going on around them. The sisters go back to New York changed, but their mother is also changed. 

I enjoyed the book, but I feel it's more of a whole class read and novel study more than an individual read. There is so much to learn from this novel. One Crazy Summer is the first in a three book series. The next book in the series is called P.S. Be Eleven followed by Gone Crazy in Alabama.

Additional Resources:

Goodreads              Amazon Amazon Kids+

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7  


16240734 

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž

This is the sequel to One Crazy Summer. P.S. Be Eleven picks up where One Crazy Summer leaves off. The girls return to New York where changes await them. Delphine is about to start the sixth grade, Pa is dating someone, and their uncle returns from Vietnam different. I found it a little dry and interesting for the most part. There is a third book which I am not interested in reading called Gone Crazy in Alabama .

Additional Resources:

Goodreads               Amazon Amazon Kids+

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7


8953. sx318 

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž
Don't let the name fool you! This book is really quite sweet. Max has a learning disability and the body of a teenage giant. Keven is a smarty pants with Morquio Syndrome which is a rare form of dwarfism with serious medical consequences. Kevin is referred to as "Freak" by Max in the book (written in first person from Max's POV). I don't personally like that nickname, it just bothered me. Actually when they made the book into a movie they took "Freak" out of the title and called it "The Mighty". Max has secrets about his past and spends most of his time in his grandparents basement until he sees Kevin moving in. Max and Kevin become friends and M starts carrying K on his shoulders becoming the duo "Freak the Mighty". The ending is a little sad, but overall I thought it was a great book. There is a sequel called "Max the Mighty" that I also want to read.

Additional Resources:

 Goodreads             Common Sense Media              Amazon 

*Ages 9-12, Grades 4-7


19317074

🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞
This book "Max the Mighty" is the sequel to "Freak the Mighty". The first book was surprisingly good, but this one I could not put down. I loved it! Rachel a bookworm meets Max, a gentle giant still grieving the loss of his best friend. Rachel seeks safe haven with Max from her step father. Max risk his reputation and his life in order to protect Rachel. If you, your child, and/or your students read the first book please encourage them to read this one.

NOTE: This books does mention some physical abuse by one of the characters. Just wanted you to know the subject matter does come up in the book.

Additional Resources:

 Goodreads             Focus on the Family Plugged'n              Amazon 

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7

8521419 

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž

This is a great novel on accepting the physical differences of our peers. Tom and his seventh grade classmates are introduced to a new student, Jessica. She is receiving treatment at a nearby hospital for severe burns sustained in a tragic fire. The students are shocked by her appearance and are terrified to talk to her, some even start rumors about her. Tom is scared of her also but knows the rumors are mean. Then, one day he starts to talk to her and is able to open up to her more than his other friends. Jessica only stays at the school for a short time but Tom feels she changed his life.

For those who love a sequel, you are lucky. The Great Jeff is the companion novel to Firegirl. I have not read it YET, but sounds like it focuses on Toms former best friend, Jeff.

Additional Resources:

Goodreads              Amazon

*Grades 3-7

 

 826576

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž
This was a simple book with a big message about right and wrong. Georgina, her brother, and mom are recently homeless and living in their car. Georgina wants to help her mom make enough money to get an apartment. She comes up with a plan. If she can steal a dog from the right home, she can collect the reward money. But she meets a stranger that might just change her mind.

Additional Resources:

Goodreads              Amazon

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7

 

12969636

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž
Another terrific historical fiction novel about WWII. Although fiction, the author wrote this first person free-verse story about a real girl named Odette Meyer. Many of the characters are real and their pictures are in the book which makes it feel more like an autobiography or memoir. It really was well researched.

There are so many good historical fiction books on WWII and I have read many lately. I would put this one towards the top. It was simple and kept my interest. It did not go into much detail around how horrific the Nazis were towards the Jews which makes it great towards younger audiences.

Additional Resources:

Goodreads             Amazon

 *Ages 10-14, Grades 5-8

 

41667 

🌞🌞🌞
Great story about surviving off the land with some research and a little trial by error. I did not ind realistic though. The main character is 12 years old when he tells his dad he is running off to the mountains and take residence on their families plot of land and his dad lets him! This book was originally published in 1959. Maybe allowing a 12 year old to do this was more acceptable and realistic back then, but it certainly is not now. With that said there really was not much else that dated the story considering it is 63 years old! It is a really easy read that nature lovers would find appealing. I suppose that is why it is still a staple in many classrooms today.

 Additional Resources:

 Goodreads                Amazon                          

 *Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7


 127564

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž
My library did not have an electronic version of this text, but had the audio book. There was so much action going on and so many characters that I could not keep up. I personally needed a book to follow along with. With that said I have no doubt kids would love this fantasy novel with dragons, serpents, and other little critters. The gist of the book is about trying to find a safe place for the dragons to live when the humans start building roads towards where they live safe and in secret. There are obstacles along the way like a mean old dragon holding a grudge and wanting revenge.

While fantasy is not my cup of tea and the audio book was hard to follow, kids will enjoy this book.  To help keep the characters straight I found a Character Guide and included it below in the Additional Resources.

 Additional Resources:

Goodreads             Focus on the Family Plugged'n               Amazon     

*Ages 3-7, Grades 3-7

 

51077859. sx318 sy475

🌞🌞🌞

An adventurous book about a brother and sister running away from home to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. They manage to live in museum for a week without getting caught. When the museum acquires a new angle statue Claudia and Jamie are determined to find out if it is the work of Renaissance artist Michelangelo. When they decide they need more information, they to speak to the woman who sold the statue to the museum, Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Claudia ends up learning more about herself than the statue.

This book was written in 1967, so it is quite old, but still relevant. I could not decide if I should give 3 or 4 stars. Don't let my 3 stars hinder you for picking up this novel, it is still a good book.

Additional Resources:

 Goodreads              Amazon Amazon Kids+

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7

 

 20645193

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž

Jeffery Magee, known as "Maniac" Magee on the streets, is orphaned when both his parents died suddenly in an accident. After eight years of living with his aunt and uncle under tense circumstances, he runs away. But "Maniac" not only runs away, he also runs and runs fast. While living on the streets he discovers just how racially divided his small town really is. He is trying to fit in on a side of town where some believe he does not belong even though he has been taken in by a loving family that looks past skin color. In his quest for belonging he meets great people who take an interest in him.

While this book can ignite conversations about race, which is great, I thought the book overall fell a little flat. This is probably an unpopular belief that many would argue with me. I might give it an extra half point.

Additional Resources:

 Goodreads             Focus on the Family Plugged'n              Amazon 

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-7


11824 

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž

Okay, I had a hard time with this book, but I think it was because I couldn't get an electronic copy of this one. The library only had it on audio book and Amazon didn't have either. There must be some strict publishing rules. You can buy a physical book through Amazon and I am sure your local library has it also.

About the audio book I listened to, I found it hard to follow along and stay engaged. I think I started it over a half dozen times. Once I got into the story it was not long before my attention was lost again. I would normally give it two stars, but I gave the physical book the benefit of the doubt hoping it's better reading than listening. 

Additional Resources:

 Goodreads             Focus on the Family Plugged'n              Amazon 

*Ages 8-12, Grades 3-8

 

 49025767

 ðŸŒžðŸŒžðŸŒž
Like the first book "Darius the Great is not Okay", this sequel hits on some of the same notes, such as mental health and the adolescents of boys. This book introduces Darius' first love interest, Landon, and the struggle of knowing what to do at the right time. Darius wants to understand LOVE and what love looks and feels like. For only the second in his life Darius feels accepted by a group of strong, caring young athletes while still experiencing bullying by others. I thought the first book was good and this one was just okay. If you enjoyed book 1 give this one a try and see what you think for yourself.

Additional Resources: 

Goodreads              Amazon 

* Ages 12 and up, Grades 7th and up (WARNING: This book like many teenage boys, discusses the male anatomy. I also tend to be on the more conservative side in terms of ages and would of said high schoolers.)

1 comment: