Produce in Colombia is slightly different than the produce you would find in America. If I was in Texas, shopping for produce, I would probably buy a spaghetti squash, a few apples, grapefruit in the fall along with Honey Crisp Apples and maybe some strawberries (depending on the time of year)......
Here in Colombia you can't find spaghetti squash or grape fruit, or Honey Crisp Apples..... But you do find these gems....
I am going to introduce you to a few of the strangest fruits I've ever seen:
Fruit #1: Mangosteen
The thick purple outer covering gets peeled away
You eat the white "brain" like part!! Taste great, looks weird, hard to get the fruit out in my opinion.
Fruit #2: Pitahaya
Scoop out slimy guts and eat with a spoon, seeds and all!! Can't describe it's taste, but very yummy
Fruit #3: Gramadilla
Cut the top off and you get these slimy guts!! Totally freaked me out, but tasted it anyway. The only way to describe is to say it "taste like tropical slime with sunflower seeds.....
So there are way more fruits to blog about.... Baby bananas (don't know their real names), giant papayas that smell like dirty feet, and a few more I'm not brave enough to try yet (but sure they all taste like the tropics).....
And if you were wondering, Colombians celebrated their Valentines this past saturday (gag and barf as flowers were being delivered and couples were happy)....
And later, walking by a store front found christmas vomit!!
So there you have it!!!
On another note, I haven't book a trip home yet in December, waiting on some cash... I'll be home in November for Brian's wedding, but can't make any promises to see folks because I'm not sure my plans for any of it yet..... But most likely will need to wait until December to see everyone!!
Muchos besos y abrazos!
Ciao










No comments:
Post a Comment