Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Mess

Although I don't leave the states until July, I'm moving out of my apartment in April (a few short weeks). Where will I live you ask? Well, I have amazing friends who have offered me beds, couches, even their childrens room. Yes, I have AMAZING friends. 

Moving doesn't come without a million of different emotions. I am soooooo excited about my new life in Colombia, but crushed to leave friends, family, students and my precious puppy dog behind. 


I mean seriously, how cute is this precious face?? Scout will be living with a retired couple in Pipe Creek, Tx (near Bandera). She will have 2 acres of fenced in land to run on, plus lots of puppy dog attention from great people (parents of a dear friend).

Best friends since 5th grade..... 

Besties you meet along the way.....

 
Students who become grown ups.....

And family......

My once comfortable and tranquil home has become a wreck! Closets that once held clothes are now storage for garage sale items.


Walls once decorated with photos of friends and places I've traveled are now empty.


I am selling pieces of my home piece by piece. They may just be "things", but they were/are "things" that became memories. The TV table bought at Goodwill and refinished with my Courtney, the drawers I bought and hung as a book shelf, and the mantle I stole (not literally, got an amazing deal) from my most favorite antique mall (Benbrook) are just a few items I will miss.


Deciding what to take in 5 suitcases has also been a challenge. It's like playing Sophie's Choice with my clothes, coffee maker, and Scentsy! Well, things got a bit more difficult yesterday when I learned the word "Embargo". A term used to describe a time of year when passengers are limited on the number of bags, so that the plane can carry more cargo. After all, cargo provides more income! I learned about 5pm yesterday that I will not be allowed 5 bags, but instead only 2 bags. Shipping? Unpredictable and VERY expensive! However, I found a "guy" through my connections who can ship personal items for about $80 for a 12" x 16" box of clothing. 

This afternoon provided me additional challenges as I navigate the international world and acquire a Visa. Let's remember my Espanol is extremely poor and when you move to a foreign country paper work is in Spanish. I'm scared that I am going to make a mistake with the paperwork and Colombia will call me and tell me I can't move!

So, for those that wanted an update- there you go!!! As of tomorrow morning at 7:30am I will be just under the 4 month mark! Time flies by (especially when it's STAAR season!!!).

Thank you to all my friends and family who have put up with my crazy the last few months! I couldn't have started this adventure without your encouragement. I am going to miss you all dearly!

Xoxo,

Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment